Canada’s Premiers are supported by a small Secretariat located in Ottawa. The Secretariat reports to the Council of the Federation Steering Committee, which is comprised of provincial and territorial deputy ministers of intergovernmental relations.
Some of the support provided by the Secretariat includes:
- Planning, preparation and execution of Premiers’ meetings and international missions
- Facilitation of intergovernmental processes related to the work of Premiers
- Administration of Council projects
Support to Council communications
Youth Internship Program
Looking for hands-on work experience in Canadian intergovernmental relations? The Secretariat administers and hosts a paid 12-month youth internship program in Ottawa. The purpose of the internship program is to encourage young Canadians to more actively participate in public policy development, public service, government and political life.
Interested applicants must be:
- 25 years of age or under;
- a graduate (bachelors, masters or other) from a recognized university;
- legally able to work in Canada;
- able to communicate in English and French, and
- interested in Canadian politics and federalism.
For more information, consult the FAQ.